An Eventful Time
The Kaiserin Friedrich-Stiftung (KFS) for continuing medical education is named after the eldest daughter of Queen Victoria and Albert von Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha: Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa, Princess of Great Britain and Ireland (1840-1901). After the death of her husband, Emperor Friedrich III, the German 99-day Emperor, Victoria took the name Kaiserin Friedrich (Empress Friedrich) and devoted herself to further medical training.
The Kaiserin Friedrich-Stiftung was founded in Berlin in 1903 on the initiative of Ernst von Bergmann, Robert Kutner and Friedrich Althoff, and became the bearer of the Kaiserin Friedrich-Haus, which was built between 1904 and 1906 using private donations.
Until the end of the Second World War, it dedicated itself as a non-profit institution to the care and further development of further medical training. After 1945, the foundation's activities were suspended until 1972, when it was reactivated in Berlin-West on the initiative of Wilhelm Heim.
After the reunification of the city, the foundation was restored to its old rights and was able to return to its headquarters - the Kaiserin Friedrich-Haus - in the government quarter near the Charité in autumn 1992.